Feb 25, 2010

This No-Name Delicious Pizza.

Wait -- I realize that these two first paragraphs dont have anything to do with pizza. Okay, you can keep on reading now :) 
I have TWO more books left (12 & 13) before i finish... [edit: daniel said i never mentioned what book i was reading. siiiiilllly me. its 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' by Lemony Snicket. unedit.] i can't yet say if reading that series has been a total waste of time. I will tell you once I know how it ends. And THEN I will also need a new series to start. [any suggestions?] I always love to be reading something.

In addition to those two books, I need to finish 'Till We Have Faces' & 'Wuthering Heights' before March 11th. Which is when my library is wanting them back. And I have $9.85 currently in fines. I can't go 15 more cents over or they take away my book reading privileges. OR i have to rummage through my purse for a quarter. I guess there are worse things.

This weeks soooo yummy eggplant & mozzarella pizza is brought to you by The Pioneer Woman. Really...I love her. I have tried probably a dozen of her recipes so far, and they have all been awesomely delicious. AND...this is the best part...Daniel said it was the very best pizza he's ever had and is convinced we need to make it once a week for the rest of forever. Maybe not that often. But Daniel loved a pizza -- with no meat in it. The end.


Here is what you need:
  • 1 Trader Joe's Pizza Crust or you can get a recipe for one here along with the rest of this recipe. And see her picture. All I have to say is that she actually has natural light in her kitchen. *jealous*
  • 1 whole Large Eggplant (I used half, but would probably use a little more next time)
  • Kosher Salt, For Sprinkling
  • 1 pint Grape Tomatoes
  • 2 cloves Garlic, Minced (p.s. a clove is one tiny piece of garlic. not the whole thing. umm, but no. i've never done that)
  • 8 ounces of Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, Sliced Thin
  • ½ cups Parmesan Cheese
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil For Drizzling
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper
no. 1 Preheat your oven broiler & place your pan or pizza stone in oven.
no. 2 Slice the eggplant thinly. Sprinkle both sides with kosher salt and place into a strainer in the sink. Allow to sit for 20 to 30 minutes. I can't tell you if this realy does anything or not. I'll probably research it later. Because I do things like that in my free time. All I know is that it turned out yummy. So did it hurt anything? Nooooooo. 
no. 3 (Whilst you wait) Pull out your pizza pan, roll out dough and place on hot pan. Drizzle with olive oil.
no.4  Slice grape tomatoes in half lengthwise and toss into a bowl with the minced garlic & thinly slice mozzarella. 
no. 5 Rinse your eggplant slices lightly in cold water, pat dry between layers of paper towels.
no. 6 Cut eggplant slices into fourths, and toss with olive oil. Arrange on a baking sheet and place 8 inches under the broiler. Broil for 3 minutes, then toss around and broil another 3 minutes. 
no. 7 Remove pan from oven and add tomato/garlic mixture. (whoops. I added everything in at once. Because IIII'M not good with reading directions. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes, then remove and set aside. (she says you can also do this about an hour or so in advance if you'd like)
no. 8 Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
no. 9 Lay mozzarella slices over the surface of the dough. Spread vegetables all over the surface of the cheese. Top with Parmesan cheese.
no. 10 Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.

3 comments:

  1. i made a pizza JUST like this once! soooo good! its that fresh mozzarella.mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mindy, I think I found your blog thru your facebook... Anyways, I just made a version similar to this tonight for dinner and it was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G... I don't read directions very well either and when making my half-half pizza accidentally spread regular pizza sauce on the eggplant side too. It was still amazing. I'm craving more just an hour later.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can also try putting basil and cornmeal roll on that recipe. The flavors will turn delicious and healthy with the added greens on it. And for a change, you can try grilling the pizza instead of the usual oven-cooking method. It’s great for summer or dinner party on your patio with friends and family. ->Fresh & Healthy Brands

    ReplyDelete