Sep 3, 2010

Heres to a new {PVC + Chemical Free} Bathroom

Here is to a new start in our new home. I've been researching a lot about healthy eating the last few months, which has been great, but i realized recently that i haven't looked much at all into the products that are in our home that may be bad for us as well. & while we obviously aren't going to be able to rip out everything that is 'toxic' or never ever drink bottled water or whatever it may be…I want to be able to  start now while we really don't have a lot to 'start over' with anyways.

So, with that said. I've been looking into water purification systems the past several days.
I first started thinking about this when I was at my friend, Crystal's house. They just got a water purifyer & i did a 'water' test.
She gave me two cups of water - one purified, & one from their tap. I didn't know which was which. You swish the water of one in your mouth for 20 seconds or so & spit it out. Then do the same with the second. I honestly didn't think I would be able to tell a difference. But as soon as I took a gulp from the seconds cup - i knew. It was the tap water. My mouth went dry-feeling & my teeth felt gritty. It was really icky. Especially since we mostly drink tap water at our apartment. Or else waterbottles, if I'm being honest. & that dry, gritty taste? Yeah. That was the chlorine.

So heres the thing about Chlorine:
It is used as a additive in our water to kill harmful micro-organisms. Which is fine & dandy in itself. But the bad part about chlorine is that it attacks organic material, such as your skin and skin oils, which dries out your skin & hair. & because chlorine vaporizes along with the hot water, it is inhaled into your lungs & is also absorbed into your skin. According to some experts, five times more chlorine enters the body through the skin during a shower than enters through drinking 8 glasses of chlorinated tap water.

One way i have heard that helps a little (if you know you will not buy a filter) is to leave a door or window open when you're showering. That way you are at least getting fresh air filtering through your lungs.
But this is what Daniel & I have decided:

we are getting THIS shower filter. Its $30 on Amazon. & you need to replace the filter every year or so. Refills are $20. Thats totally worth it to me. Especially because we are moving into an old home with old pipes that basically haven't been used in the last several years. We probably have more that needs filtering than most, even ;) The companys website, is HERE. & you can get more info there as well.

I've researched different filters quite a bit & this seems to be the best. It was also recommended in the book we're reading (below)

So in addition to our shower filter, we are also switching out our icky, needs-to-be-replaced-anyways shower curtain liner with a polyester fabric curtain liner. Supposedly, they are $10 at Bed, Bath & Beyond, so I will know for sure later today. You can also find them HERE. You know how vinyl curtains have that plastic smell when you first pull them out of their package? & sometimes just randomly after that? Yeah. I don't like that smell. Its the smell of PVC plastic (#3 plastic). In addition to having no fumes looming around your bathroom, polyester curtains dont get those gross water stains as quickly, & when they do you can throw them in your washer, which is AWESOME. I've dreaded having to pull our plastic curtain down & scrubbing it. Win/Win.


We started thinking about these things more while we read this book on the way to & from the beach. & I do mean we. I was reading it out loud :) 
Its been great so far. We have both the book & audio book (thanks, grandma)
 Daniel even enjoyed it. So there.


So thats all! No more lecturing for the day :)



5 comments:

  1. dear mindy, i love your blog!

    i'm pretty sure i'm going to get that shower curtain pronto. i've always felt the same way about the plastic.

    and, we finally just watched Food, Inc. the other day. such a good reminder--i need to get to work on our diet! :)

    oh, and congratulations on the house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh i made it in your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought a fabric shower curtain, myself! And we're getting a Berkey shower filter. I really like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have that shower filter! Someone gave it to us as a gift when we first got married. We love it! Especially since we have hard water, it softens it a bit. We bought one for each bathroom in our house :)

    ReplyDelete