Mar 2, 2011

{puffy pita pockets}

first of all, can i just say that i am THRILLED that this recipe turned out!!!
perfectly puffed pitas :)
mmmm they are so good. i am eating one now.
yes. for breakfast. don't judge me.
i stuffed it with egg. & tooons of cheese :)

& secondly, thank you for all of the sweet get well wishes. daniel came home yesterday & told me he laughed his head off when i said on here that i had the flu. he said i was wrong. & that i don't know what the flu is. 
& he was right. i don't have the flu. I just felt awful. & any time i feel awful i automatically say i have the flu without really thinking about it. so thank you & i am sorry i lied. today is a little bit better :)

so on with the recipe…
i have been wanting to make pita pockets for ages. literally. ages. & just never found the courage - or the right recipe to make them.
i would like to take just a short moment to thank pinterest at this point. because i wouldn't have made these at all if a delicious picture of them had not been glaring at me every time i went to my page. thats the wonderful thing about it :) I have made 10 of the 24 recipes i have pinned so far. & for me, that is AWESOME.



you will need:

1 1/8 cups warm water {like, warm if you dip your finger into it, but not too hot or you will kill your yeast! trust me. i learned the hard way…}
1 1/2 teaspoons of honey
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 cups of flour {i did half white whole wheat & half all purpose this first time, for whatever its worth...}
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for coating bowl
1 teaspoon kosher salt

no. 1


In a bowl add honey into warm water. Sprinkle yeast over top and let proof for 10 minutes. Stir in flour, salt & olive oil. Knead until soft and slightly sticky - but not the so sticky it coats your hands in goo kind. If that happens, add more flour. Put the dough in a bowl slicked with olive oil & cover. Move to a warm place {like inside your oven with the light on} until it doubles in size {45 or so minutes?}




no. 2

Preheat oven to 500 degrees & roll the dough into a 12 inch rope on a lightly floured surface. Cut into eight pieces 


no. 3
Okay, this is the part of the recipe that scared me the most. Because on the site i got this recipe from - the girl said half of her pitas didn't puff because she got this wrong! Gosh. Thats enough to scare even ME into following directions…& I'm pretty sure i didn't do anything amazing, but all of mine ended up puffing. so i will tell you exactly what i did.
Roll each of your sections into balls - that is supposedly the important part. So you'll get an air bubble in the middle. So roll em good! Then cover all your little dough balls with a towel while rolling one dough ball at time to approximately seven inches in diameter. You really don't want to flatten your dough TOO much though. I think thats the other secret. Mine ended up being a little more than 1/8 inch thick. or 6mm. Maybe I don't need to be that exact. But they worked. So you can't say i didn't tell you...

no. 4
Place 1 to 2 pitas on a cooling rack or directly on your oven rack - like so. Bake for 4-5 minutes or until puffed in center and golden around the edges & repeat.
Once cool store in a plastic bag and refrigerate for a couple days or freeze up to two months.
{makes 8 whole pitas or 16 halves}

4 comments:

  1. For what its worth, I also always say I have flu when I feel iffy - like when I have a cold or something. No one really gets flu anyway - everyone just gets vaccinated for it! These pitas look awesome! I'm following you on Pintrest btw :) so will check out what recipes you pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thankyou for the recipe !! gonna try it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these for my family for dinner tonight. I was in the mood for baking, and I love pita bread. Well, I mixed up a batch, and put it in the oven with the light on. Somehow, the oven got turned on, and about 30 min later, there was smoke in the kitchen. That was the dishcloth burning. I pulled the bowl out and there was a little round loaf of bread. My whole family was in the kitchen to see what was happening and when they saw it, we ate it together. It was really good! I tried again, and on the second time them came out perfectly. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh - miss anonymous:
    that is the most hilarious story ive heard in a LONG time!
    i'm so glad your kitchen survived!!!

    ReplyDelete