Dec 13, 2011

{diy tree skirt}

this kind of post may seem familiar. its how a lot of them used to be before little man stole the show ;)
in between naps & feedings & doctors these past few weeks i've squeezed in little bits of time to work on a few projects.

we've been in need of a little tree skirt redo.
& theres been a lot of tutorials for no-sew ones floating around, so i did the same thing - folded over pleats to make lots of ruffles, only i ended up sewing mine after all. it just felt more secure. hot glue doesn't love sticking for me that well. & i actually think it ended up saving me a good bit of time - so if you HAVE a sewing machine - i like how it turned out quite well :)


you will need:
4-5 yards of fabric
a rotary cutter & board
a sewing machine & thread
an existing tree skirt

-wash & dry fabric & cut into strips. i did 4 inch strips & it took me about 5 hours to make this. i think if you did 5 inch strips, it would speed things up a bit, though…
-fold over fabric & pin onto your tree skirt so you are making ruffles - you'll want to start on the outside & work your way to the middle, so your last row will be the smallest. after you finish each row, sew & repeat - covering 1/2 to 1 inch of the previous row each time.

& a few christmas movies later, you're done!

its a bit late in the season to be making tree skirts, so sorry for my tardiness. let me know if you try it!

8 comments:

  1. How cute! We are lacking any kind of tree skirt, but I don't think I have the time to make one this year. I'm definitely coming back to do one for next Christmas though! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that... Goodness I think I would WEAR it... I would love for you to link it up here http://shoprubyjean.com/2011/12/sew-crafty-tuesday-linky-party1/

    ReplyDelete
  3. When will you ever stop impressing me, girl? :) totally cute

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow I am really impressed that you find time for sewing with a little baby boy home! super cute idea!! ask-julia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an incredible tree skirt! I really love how nicely it looks beneath your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought about sewing it when I did mine, but I ended up hot gluing it. It took me about 4 hours with 3" strips of burlap. I didn't have a tree skirt to start with either, so I cut a large circle from muslin and used that. Your is pretty too!

    ReplyDelete