May 7, 2012

{help save a baby isaac: be a donor}

okay. first of all you guys…
seriously THANK YOU for being so awesome & responding the way you all did to my last post!
i don't know why, but when i was writing it, i guess i really didn't think anyone would respond, or that it just didn't make sense, & we ended up overwhelmed by the number of friends {even those of you we don't know. you are friends, too} that reposted & emailed other friends & forwarded info onto their classes. thank you times a million! i never have enough words to say how much we appreciate things like this…

a few people have asked me if we've heard from anyone that is going to use Fanconi as their subject yet & the answer is no. not definitely. but we are super hopeful. we knew this wouldn't be something that would probably call for immediate action, but more wanted to put a bug in people's ears, so that when the time comes, maybe they'll think of us. so we are super excited!

& now...here is part two.
i would like to preface this & not treat it totally lightly.
i'm not totally crazy, guys. i know that this little number two requires a few man hours & probably a little bit of aching for a few days. its a bigger deal than giving blood. & if you're like me, who didn't know anything about being a bone marrow donor - the idea probably really scares you, because you don't know what to expect. but i would like to give you more info on this. it's something that daniel & i are both really passionate about now. currently we aren't in the registry, just because there is a bit of a commitment & we at least want to get a bit more over the hill with stuff with isaac. but this is something that i think i would love to do someday - as scary as it may seem. the payoff, though, is AMAZING! you could be saving a life!

here is basically everything you need to know in this video:

















if you don't want to watch a video, you can go to marrow.org for more info & to register, if you like.

once you are registered, you will receive a packet in the mail with a cotton swab - all they need is your saliva. you follow the instructions & mail it back.

this could possibly be all you ever do. just because you sign up to be a donor doesn't mean you will ever be needed. just that you are willing.

you could also contact them and ask about arranging a drive in your area, or possibly at your workplace! that would be pretty awesome. too :)

& if you want a bit more of an idea of what this looks like for the person your marrow would be going to, personally - meet eli. i seriously have watched this video over a dozen times & just wish i could hug this little boy. he has fanconi anemia & had his bone marrow transplant just over a year ago & it was successful! you can see just the tiniest snippet of their journey through it,

i love seeing all of the photos of him after his transplant. how i would love to be on the other side of that with isaac someday. i can't even imagine how glorious it would feel…
i cry every time i watch it - but seriously, i'm not trying to make you all cry!!! i just think that its really great to see a real story & a real little boy you could be helping if you are looking into doing this!



thanks for bearing with me & for reading through all of this. i know its a bit heavy. & thanks for considering!

9 comments:

  1. I just added my name to the registry a few days ago, inspired by you and my uncle who passed away from multiple myeloma which eventually progressed into plasma cell luekemia. He was in need of a bone marrow transplant, but unfortunately never made it that far. Thank you for informing the public that anyone can take the step to put their name on the the donor registry. I didn't know it was so easy. I would donate my bone marrow in a heart beat if it meant saving another family from the heart ache we have faced and so many others have. God bless you and your family. Praying for you continually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely add my name to the registry! I just want you to know you guys aren't alone with fighting for a cure for a disease or illness. I know it's a completely different situation, but my husband (who's 27) is currently in need of a kidney transplant and has been on dialysis for over 5 years now. I spread the word about organ donation and dialysis as much as I can because I find a lot of people don't know anything about it and how important becoming a donor is! It's tough seeing someone you love more than anything in the world go through something that you have no control over. Seeing them go endure surgeries, it's the toughest thing I've ever had to go through. I can't imagine how it is with a little beautiful baby who can't vocalize anything yet. I know I got off topic a bit, but I just wanted you know I am here for you, even if I don't know you :)

    www.donatelife. net
    www.kidney.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the beginning, (Issac's birth) I felt like your little family was called to be and do far above what you ever could imagine. So many lives will be saved because of your efforts. I know this calling comes with great personal heartache and sacrifice, but it is a call to greatness. Can't wait for Issac's celebration video. So proud of you three and the way you are dealing with all of this. praying for you each day in Chattanooga, TN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much for the sweet words, pamela!

    haley & erin - you are both AWESOME! thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sold. Never thought of it before, looking into having a kit shipped to me! P.S. When I move to FL, I will be oozles closer to you and would LOVE to come visit! Talk soon and love you always xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been in the registry for 2 years now and I actually donated my bone marrow to a little boy with a different kind of anemia in Dec '10. And yes your right about it being an ache and painful but it was the most rewarding thing I have ever done aand I would do it again in a heartbeat :)

    I love reading about you and your family because it reminds me of the hope I gave his family, even though my donation only extended his life. you, your husband and baby Isaac are in my thoughts <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing Eli's story and getting the word out about marrow donation. Moms like us are changing the world you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been registered as a marrow donor for three years! Anxiously waiting my chance to help save a baby Isaac. :)

    ReplyDelete