Feb 27, 2013

{gluten free chocolate chip cookies}

i'm back from my blogging hiatus of several months.
its funny, at the beginning of the year, i had decided to try to do better posting, & so far they have only become more & more infrequent.

daniel told me yesterday that i should post something today, so here we are. i'm glad he did :)
isaac is enough to talk about all the time, but i thought i would do something i haven't in a long time & give you all a recipe to try, if you like.

february is bringing about lots of changes in me, both little & big: when i wake up, how i eat, think, arrange our days...i'm trying to teach myself to be more disciplined & have met with a bit of success for the first month. now to just continue for the years to come, huh?

i can post about a lot of those things, later. but just apart of this month was that i wanted to test out cutting sugars, gluten & caffine from my eating as an experiment to see if it would make any difference in my energy levels & a few other things.

it has actually been really great, overall. the first few days without sugar were the hardest. i have a huge sweet tooth - & i've also already learned the one morning i just couldn't stand not having coffee, that i actually don't like how my body feels with all of the caffine. i'm jittery & fidgety half the day {i kind of knew that before, but just couldn't imagine, still, giving it up}, so that is just one change i think i will carry on, & probably only do coffee on special occasions. not every day.

i splurged & made these cookies just once this month.
they.are.incredible.
daniel actually prefers them to regular chocolate chip cookies {i didn't tell him what was in them right off}

okay, so here is the first thing you need to know. these are delicious & i have tried several different versions of gluten free cookies. these babies knock them all out of the park.

the dough can also be frozen in rolls, like the pilsbury dough & you can slice & pop them in the oven or toaster oven & they are equally good - thats what we do so we don't eat them ALL. remember that sweet tooth i was just talking about?

also: i did NOT burn these cookies. the dark color is actually from coconut sugar. that is how i get away with saying they are sugar free. more about coconut {also palm sugar} sugar here. i bought this one on amazon. obviously, its more expensive than sugar. we use sugar so little, though, to me its worth it & it lasts us quite awhile...

i am new to gluten free cooking, but some of these ingredients are probably interchangeable with other things, so experiment away & let me know if you have any luck! i just know that i like these just the way they are :)

you will need:
1 cup sorghum flour
3/4 cup of tapioca flour
1/2 cup almond flour or meal
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups of coconut sugar {you can go halfsies with cane sugar if you like}
3/4 cup coconut oil
2 large organic free-range eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Rounded 1/2 cup vegan dark chocolate chips

Optional:
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Instructions:

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, xanthan gum, sea salt, baking soda, and coconut sugar.

Add in the oil, eggs and vanilla extract.

Beat the dough for two minutes, until it is sticky and smooth.

Add in the dark chocolate chips; and stir by hand to combine. Add in walnuts, if desired.

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Form the dough into balls. Your batch should make about 2 1/2 dozen.
Place on a lined baking sheet and press down lightly.

Bake for 12-14 minutes. The cookies will look golden- but still feel slightly soft to the touch - please don't overcook them! They crisp a bit as they cool.

*side note: if it is hot & humid you might want to cool for an hour in the fridge before baking

6 comments:

  1. glad to see some recipes are back!

    I, too, am a recent coffee addict that kicked the habit. I'm two weeks sober (as I like to call it) and am just now starting to feel amazing! I've been toying with the idea of giving up gluten, so I'll be interested to read your journey with that!

    xo, Rhianna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often 'forget' to tell my husband what's in his food until I see his reaction! Love your recipe posts, I've given up all sweet things for Lent (unless they're completely natural with no added in sugar). I wasn't sure how I'd find it since I also have the hugest sweet tooth but it's not been nearly as bad as I expected and I've discovered some really healthy (and tasty) alternatives to my usual snacks. Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mindy! Funny, I just baked my favorite vegan, gluten-free chocolate chip cookies this weekend. My husband and I have been plant-based for years, but we still need a good cookie from time to time! I have tinkered with my recipe throughout the years, constantly fine tuning and using varying flours (I'm loving brown rice flour right now) and such. It really is tried and true. We take our cookies very seriously around here, husband especially (!), so they've got to be good! Glad to hear yours turned out well and got the stamp of approval.

    P.S. Good luck with the caffeine thing! I don't drink coffee, but rather rely on water first thing to get me going. It really wakes the body up!

    Cheers,

    Carmen
    www.sixthandolive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi mindy! Funny, I just baked my favorite vegetarian, gluten-free this weekend chocolate biscuits. My husband and I have been plant for many years
    cheap jerseys free shipping

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good post. This post give truly quality information. I'm definitely going to look into it.Really very useful tips are provided here.thank you so much.Keep up the good works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this great share. This site is a fantastic resource. Keep up the great work here at Sprint Connection! Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete